Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Proton Therapy for Prostate Cancer: A Patient’s Story

When Frank McKee was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he wanted to find the best treatment to fight the disease. After extensively researching treatment options, he finally chose proton therapy, the world’s most advanced form of radiation therapy.


“I wanted to treat the cancer and I wanted to be done with it in a way that had a minimum amount of side effects and affected my life the least,” McKee said. 

Proton therapy offers a variety of benefits to patients with prostate cancer. These include:
  • Reduced radiation to normal, healthy tissues
  • Decreased chance of side effects, complications and toxicity
  • Maximum radiation dose administered directly to the tumor
  • Fewer daily treatments, as deemed appropriate 
  • Ability to re-treat tumors
“My life has been very, very full in the last year and a half since I finished treatment,” said McKee. “There are times I totally forget I had prostate cancer. And that’s a good thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment